To live in hearts we leave behind; Is not to die.

~Thomas Campbell


Sunday, August 8, 2010

Today, I will celebrate the birth of the most important woman in my life, my mother, my mentor, my confidente, my friend.


I will resolve to spend the day in observance of her life, to remember the love she gave, the laughter and tears she shared and the joy she brought into so many lives, especially into my own.


And, I will do it with a smile. I will not give in to the temptation of tears, to feel sorry for myself for the ache I feel, for I miss her so very deeply.
I will strive to reflect the love she gave me onto those I love. By her example, I will learn to be a better mother, a better wife, a better sister, a better friend. I resolve to love as freely as she did, to give of myself as freely as she did.


For the past year and a half, I thought my greatest regret in losing my Mama was that I was not able to get to her side to say good-bye again before she passed. But that would have been for my own comfort. Only recently, have I realized that truly, my greatest regret in losing her was that I was only just learning to be the friend to her she had always been to me.


Mama, you gave me birth into the world, love to sustain me in it as I grew, and by your example I will reflect this love more purposefully, more intentionally, more faithfully, not only to those closest to me, but to all those with whom my path crosses.
Happy Birthday, Mama. I remember you...I celebrate you...I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment